Saturday, October 5, 2013
One Block Wonder Started
With Texter's help, I picked out some fabric for my first attempt at the One-Block Wonder. Jen at Quilter in the Closet is leading a QAL for this method of piecing (and is doing a tremendous job). I selected by fabric, but I wasn't really "thrilled" at the choice and came home with doubts as to it's workability, especially after seeing some of the selections on our Flickr group.
It has colors I liked (purple and green). It has movement. It is a nice size motif. But then, like I said, after I bought it, I started having doubts. I kept thinking I wanted a large, bold, colorful pattern. But Texter told me to go with this.
So I have enough not only for a quilt top, but to probably do some strip piecing on the back of the quilt. But that lingering doubt was there and I couldn't get to it for about a week.
The book is correct, the initial 'set-up' is fiddly, lining up the pattern, all 6 layers of it. But once you get that set it is pretty straight forward. Still doubting the outcome, I only did three strips. I figured I didn't want to waste the fabric if it wasn't going to work.
I cut my triangles out and put them in my box (my attempt to be organized) and carried them into the sewing room and sat down to see how big of a mistake I had made with my fabric selection. It didn't take long for me to get into a rhythm and I felt a bit like Noah's Ark, 2 x 2.
I would sew 2 sets of 2 triangles together and lay them with the third set of 2 unsewn triangles, do a bunch, take them over and press the seams open, and then come back and sew the third triangle on to each set of 2 to form my half-hex. Then I would press that seam open and put them on my new design board.
And much to my surprise, this is what turned out.....
Of course, Texter is in the background with a smug expression on her face, going "I told you so!"
I am seeing some blocks that are very similar (if not identical). But the movement is there and it is hitting all the right notes on my 'kaleidoscope nerve'.
So I am going to continue. What is on the design board now is about 3/4 of the 3 strips I cut out earlier. I am thinking now of some of the additional design elements Maxine Rosenthal mentions in her books. I have some purple batiks I am thinking of adding...we will see.
Once I get my half-hexes sewn, I am then suppose to separate them out into dominant color. What I am seeing so far isn't so much 'color', but value - light and dark. I can see the quilt going from dark to light with some solid batiks included also going from dark to light.
This quilt was an 'experiment' in the method and so far I am pleased with how it is coming out. However, I do still want to go with a bigger, bolder color combination, so I can see this will not be my only One-Block Wonder quilt I will be doing.